Hey there fitness buffs! Today, we’re going to be talking about online learning and studying for your next fitness certification. Obviously, trying to learn everything you need to know in order to pass your fitness exam can seem daunting, but luckily, there are some tips and tricks that can make your learning experience a lot easier. So whether you’re just starting your fitness career or you’re almost ready to take the exam, read on for some great advice on how to make the most of your online learning experience!
1. Get organized!
- Create a study program and stick to it- this will help you stay on track and make the most of your time.
- Create a dedicated study space- a quiet place where you can focus on your and won’t be distracted.
- Gather all the materials you need- this includes your textbook, any notes you’ve taken, and any practice exams you have completed.
- Find a place where you can focus on your study time and won’t be disturbed!
2. Take practice quizzes!
- A great way to test your fitness knowledge and see what areas you need to focus on.
- You can find practice quizzes/exams online or in your LMS (learning management system).
- Take practice quizzes and exams more than once and note if there are any questions that you keep getting wrong. If there are, review the material to understand the key concepts.
3. Use online resources, such as forums, to get help from other students.
- Setting up an online study group is a great option to cover recently learned information.
- You can often find helpful tips and tricks from other students who have already been through the testing process.
- Additionally, many fitness instructors are happy to help out via online forums or even offer extra office hours virtually.
- Use your study guide and study materials provided!
- Look up your certification on social media. You can often find tips, tricks, and hints at what to expect on the certification exam.
4. Create flashcards of key terms and fitness concepts.
- This is a great way to review the fitness training information and make sure you understand the testing material.
- You can create digital flashcards or even old-fashioned paper flashcards as an option.
5. Watch video lectures to better understand the exam material.
- If you’re having trouble understanding a concept, try watching a video lecture on the topic during your study time.
- You can often find these lectures online or links to recordings in email follow-ups from instructors.
6. Take breaks and get some exercise – it will help improve your concentration!
- Learning can be taxing on your brain, so make sure to take breaks to exercise and give yourself a chance to relax.
- A quick walk or some light stretching or exercise can do wonders for your focus.
7. Ask your friends and family to be a participant and actually coach them.
- The more people that you can practice on to gain experience, the better.
- Ask your friends and family for real and honest feedback.
- Try and get a mentor who is a fitness professional to bounce your learnings, exercise plans, and ideas off of.
8. Video record and/or voice record yourself!
- Thinking about how to become a fitness coach and coaching out loud are two different things. Your brain can think faster than your mouth can move, so practice out loud…even if there is no one there.
- Listen to your coaching. Refine what it is you want to say. Can you follow your own directions if you are not watching yourself? Do you have a go-to word or phrase that is annoying? Notice anything that could become a bad habit and get rid of it.
- Watch a video of yourself coaching. How is your form? Are you doing what you are cuing?
And there you have it! You’re now fully prepared to ace your practical and written exams in a self-study program to enter the fitness industry. Just remember, the key is practice, practice, practice. The more time you spend in the gym (or at least pretending to be in the gym), working with real people, and studying for your fitness exam, the better off you’ll be. We wish you all the best of luck – go get ‘em!