Are you thinking about becoming a fitness instructor? Whether you’re looking to become a Personal Trainer, Group Fitness Instructor, or Cycle Instructor, there are some essential things you need to know before entering the fitness industry. Here are things to know as a fitness professional that will help you get started on the right foot for your fitness journey.
1 – Keep them motivated
Everyone is different, so find what works for each individual to reach their fitness goals.
- Be positive and patient!
- Set S.M.A.R.T. goals with an emphasis on the “A”. Attainable!
- Fitness challenges are motivating to some clients/members.
- Be dynamic and offer something new.
As a trainer, instructor, or coach, you not only have the power to impact someone’s health, but you also have the power to impact their whole life. Use that power wisely.
2 – Be active on social media
If you do not have a social media presence, you are doing yourself a disservice. Even if you do not want a personal social media account, create a fitness account. You can utilize this as a marketing tool to the masses and it’s FREE! The more people see who you are, hear your story and see your “why”, the more likely they are to want to get to know you professionally.
- If you have social media and you have your account set to private, make it public. Your face is your best marketing, so make sure to show it.
- Post about your schedule, your offerings, your certifications, and anything that gives added value to potential clients.
3 – Understand the basics of running a business
Taxes, marketing, and networking!
- You need to file taxes as a self-employed individual if you don’t work as an employee in a fitness establishment.
- You will also need to carry your own insurance if you do not work as an employee at a fitness establishment or if you are not covered under the policy of your place of employment.
- Create a system for marketing, whether that be through social media, word of mouth, or both! Incentivizing referrals from your current clientele is a great way to spread word of mouth.
- Get involved in your community- Go to Chamber of Commerce events, local business mixers, and anything else that will help get your name out there to attract potential clients.
4 – First-aid training in case of emergencies
All fitness professionals need to have an active Adult CPR/AED Certification. You will need to have this to sit for most Certification Exams. Additionally, most employers require this of all fitness professionals.
5. Maintaining your certification status
You will need to consider what your Continuing Education Credits/Units will be. All certifications that you receive require you to keep up-to-date knowledge of your specialty. The CEC’s/CEU’s that you will need to keep up on will be determined by the certifying body. So do your homework and know what drives your passion and your why so you can become the most educated fitness professional you can be.
There you have it! Five essential tips that every fitness professional should know. Get out there and start making a difference in the world, one healthy body at a time! And don’t forget to have fun while you’re doing it. 🙂
What other tips would you add to this list? Let us know in the comments below!